History of the School of Education
In accordance with the decision of the Azerbaijan SSR Council of Ministers of 10 December 1947, in Baku, the independent Institute of Foreign Languages was established and when the September 1, 1948 Institute was opened to students their doors here only two departments acted: Department of English and German-French. Although the English Department was established in the year as a separate institution, it originates from the School of Foreign Languages, which began its activity in the IPA in 1937. For the first time in the country of the English language experts were prepared in this department, and hundreds of English teachers were sent to the schools of the republic. Among the graduates were Ruhsara Gaibova, Ismihan Rahimov, Nazim Gadimbeyov, Fuad Kyazymov, Hajar Nagiyeva, Khadija Ahmadova, Miyasat Omarova and other persons. However, after the establishment of the republic independent institution, training of foreign language specialists entered a new phase. In the 1948-1949 academic year, the school had 75 students (50 in the Azerbaijani sector, 25 – in Russian), and 140 people were transferred from the IPA. The first dean of the school, who started work with 215 students (131 of them – the Azeris) in 1948, became Nazim Gadimbeyov, who was a graduate of the School of Foreign Languages . But soon, he went to a responsible job in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and was replaced by a specialist French language Mina Guliyeva. In subsequent years Nigyar Vazirova-Egorova, Dora Abbasova, Leo Guslitser, Said Bagirov ,Miyasat Omarova acted as deans. And the head of the Department of English was Rukhsara Gaibova. In connection with the execution of the decision TSKKP of Azerbaijan and the Azerbaijan SSR Council of Ministers “On regulation of the network of schools in the Azerbaijan SSR” dated April 14, 1959, Minister of Education of the Republic in May of the same year ordered the merger of the Azerbaijan Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages with the Institute of Russian Language and Literature named after M.F. Akhundov. In the new institute there were only two schools: Russian language and literature, and European languages. Dean of the Second School prepares specialists in English, was appointed Jafar Jafarov. But he was in office for only one year. In March 1960 he was replaced by Shamil Safiguliev. Order of the Minister of Higher and Secondary Special Education of February 7, 1968 Department of European Languages is divided into two parts: the departments of English and German-French. Before the election Associate Professor Rahimov was appointed dean of the school. In a short time, on April 22, 1968 Nana Shakhmuradova was elected Dean of the School. In April 1971, Rahimov was the re-direct the Department. Initiative and the order of the national leader Heydar Aliyev came to power in 1969, November 4, 1972 the Azerbaijan SSR Council of Ministers adopted a resolution “On the reorganization of the Azerbaijan Pedagogical Institute named after M.F. Akhundov languages”. In accordance with the decision of the two institutions was organized on the basis of the institution: Azerbaijan Pedagogical Institute of Russian Language and Literature named after M.F. Akhundov and Azerbaijan Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages named after the fiftieth anniversary of the USSR. The largest school in APIIYA was English Department. Due to the fact that the Department was transferred to the liquidated institute, dean position again performed Ismihan Rahimov. In 1973 Fikret Seyidov was appointed to the post of dean. In 1979, he was replaced by G. Yusifov, and in 1990 succeeded G.Yusifova F. Orujov.
Social and political processes that have taken place in the country in the 90s, had an impact on the life of the Institute. This is clearly manifested itself in the personnel changes, the reorganization of faculties, departments and divisions. Change the rectors, vice-rectors, deans, heads of departments and divisions, reorganization of faculties, departments and divisions were in the order of things. School of English, which is the only institution in the field of training of English language specialists to the 90s, the Rector’s order of 17 December 1991, divided into departments of English-German and English-French. By the decision of the Scientific Council, a second school since 1998, it was renamed the Department of English Language and Regional Studies, and since 2001 in the number of English School 1. In 1991-2003 Dunyamin Yunusov, Sevda Javadova, Natig Yusifov, Malumat Nuraddinov were the deans of the school. In 2003-2004, the school was led by Professor Afgan Abdullayev. In 2013, the Department of English 1 was renamed the School of Education.
Among the graduates, trained thousands of English for 70 years from the date of creation, formed many national staff with a wealth of scientific creativity, high talent, distinguished people in the development of the science of linguistics. The first specialist foreign language elected correspondent member of the National Science Academy, professor Zemfira Verdiyeva, member of ANNA, winner of the State award Agamusa Akhundov, Ghazanfar Pashayev, founder of comparative linguistics in the country, Professor Oruj Musayev, Mehpara Gaibova, for the first time in the country presented a deep scientific analysis of the communicative aspects presentation of thoughts of the artistic image as a part of scientific linguistics professor with exceptional merits in development of science of linguistics – Dunyamin Yunusov, Natig Yusifov, Fikrat Seyidov, Sayadulla Babayev, Gyulnar Huseynzade, Dilara Ismailova, Masma Gaziyeva, Afgan Abdullayev, Farman Zeynalov, Fikret Dzhahangirov, Azad Mammadov, Nigar Valiyeva, Leila Jafarova, Arif Huseynov, Sevinj Zeynalova, honored teacher Akif Bayramov, Balakhan Huseynov and others are graduates of this particular department.
The School has become a leading institution, going ahead in the university. Thanks to the attention and care of the former rector of the University, Professor Samad Seyidov, the material and technical base of the School of Education was even more intensified. Different centers, laboratories, new departments are the result of this particular attention.
Important steps were taken for the preparation of students of the school as worthy professionals. In the first place, morally healthy climate was created, the works in the field of mutual respect in the relationship between teacher and student is more responsible understanding of the teaching and the student’s rights and responsibilities, strengthening the order.
In 2005, our country has adopted the Bologna Declaration, our University became the first institution of higher education, to support the process. Curricula programs have been updated textbooks were replaced with textbooks that meet modern requirements. Educational work among the students were carried out, parents and teachers about the system, conducted training seminars on new innovative methods of training, prepared for new programs in the disciplines.
At the School has the following department: Lexicology of the English language, English language Phonetics, Psychology, Fundamentals of civil defense and medical knowledge, innovation and learning German. Today 10 departments of the School operate 167 employees. Of these 4 professors – doctor of sciences, 40 – PhD – assistant professors and 75 assistant professors. Over the past 1 year was created 162 textbooks teaching staff of the school, textbooks, monographs, articles, theses published 447 in various influential scientific journals. Our teachers regularly take part in various seminars, conferences and training, to improve the training. Over the past year our chairs were organized 52 research activities and professional orientation activities. Since 2014 the dean of the school is doctor of philological sciences, Professor Fikret Jahangirov.